Sunday, November 2, 2008

Treats



I figured with all the treats going around on Halloween, the pound dogs deserved some as well so I brought them some big bones to gnaw on.

When I give my own dogs bones, they take them over to their favorite bone chewing spots in the house and go at it. The pound dogs, on the other hand, didn't quite know what to make of the bones.

It was funny to watch these two beagles, for example. They'd obviously never had a real bone to chew on before. They were excited but confused. They kept looking at me as if to ask, "Is this for real?" and then they'd sniff and nudge the bones a bit and then look back up at me for approval. I'd tap the bone and encourage them to go ahead and eventually they stopped focusing on me and started nibbling on the bones. From there, it didn't take long before they were lost in bone gnawing heaven.

It was great to see them so happy.

3 comments:

Lynda said...

Oh darn - someone posted in the "pets" section of Craigslist last night that they were giving away a free box of raw meaty bones. They really should have contacted their local shelter.

Anyway, these guys look like they're having fun!

Lynda

Fred said...

Many butchers will sell big soup bones for pretty cheap. You can definitely get them Dane sized.

Lynda said...

I feed raw, so I usually have lots of bones on hand! The Twins love it!