Sunday, September 27, 2009

Kennel Cafe Adopt-a-thon


Toronto Animal Services South is starting to hold regular adopt-a-thons in a few locations in the city and this weekend it was at the Kennel Cafe. The Kennel Cafe on Roncevalles is one of those great neighbourhood pet supply stores, privately owned with a caring and attentive staff. You immediately get the feeling it's one of those cozy places where the owner gets to know her customers by name.

There's a small yard in the back of the store where TAS sets up the crates and cages and it can get crowded pretty quick but that's okay because it's like a friendly social gathering with lots of chatting and laughter and saying hello to neighbours.

Three dogs and about a dozen cats were adopted out at the event but I think almost as important is that a lot of people got to meet and talk with some of the animal control officers and got to hear the scoop about the adoptions available at TAS. Events like these really help spread the word that 1. Toronto Animal Services exists (because a lot of people still don't realize that or don't distinguish TAS from THS or OSPCA) and 2. TAS isn't just a pound where unwanted animals are thrown away.

These neighbourhood adopt-a-thons, smaller and more intimate, create a real bond between the community and the agency. Every time I've been to one, I always see someone drop by with a dog they adopted from a previous event to proudly show off what a wonderful pet it's become. Now that's heartwarming.





Emmy, Foxy and a small Eskimo Dog who seemed to have accumulated a few different names, depending on who was holding it, are all now with their new families around the neighbourhood.

8 comments:

Laura HP said...

Two of the baby hamsters I'm fostering also found a new home, when they're ready =) These adopt-a-thons are such great events for connecting with neighbourhoods. I especially like the idea of having someone sit outside with a dog, luring people in =)

Unknown said...

I'm so happy for the dogs, cats and hamsters that were adopted this weekend.
I agree that this is a good way to get the word out that TAS has animals available for adoption. I didn't know about the adoption service until I started reading your blog Fred.

Anonymous said...

Great news about the adoptions! Good for Kennel Cafe. I'd have scooped up Roxy if we didn't have a full house already. But I'd probably have had to get in line...

Lynda said...

What a great idea!!

borderjack said...

This is such a wonderful thing, especially for the animals - getting them 'out there' for adoption, rather than waiting for someone to come to them...did any of the cats or that GORGEOUS bunny find homes? Alas, I too, have a full house - I'm at the by-law limit :)

Anonymous said...

wow this is wonderful news, what a successful event, I desperately wanted to go and help out but my stupid job got in the way lol.......work., what a pain in the ass when all I really want to do is hang out with the animals at TAS. Thanks for the update Fred

Susan

Fred said...

borderjack, about a dozen of the cats got adopted but I think the bunny was not. I'm sure it'll get adopted from TAS though soon enough.

borderjack said...

Hi Fred, I love happy updates so I thought I'd find this post to share: the little eskimo dog is now named "Luna". She seems to be doing really well! She's put on some needed weight and is a vibrant, happy dog who is a total sucker for treats: she seems to have mastered the look and the cocked head when her mom's hand reaches into her pocket. She's a lovely little dog and runs like a fiend!