Friday, May 21, 2010

Matte cat needs home

From Laura, a volunteer at Toronto Animal Services South, who writes the blog Feathers, Fur & The Occasional Fang, :


The cat's owner died and wasn't found for a long time. We don't know how the cat survived, but when he was finally found, he was so badly covered in mattes it looked like kittens clinging to him (first photo). The cat is around 8 years old, neutered and declawed, but he's also dangerously obese. They can't do any dentistry cleaning because he might not survive anaesthesia. The shelter did a geriatric blood profile on him, and there are some concerns that they'd have to discuss with potential adopters. Mostly the problem's with his liver. If he is adopted, the new owner will need to try to help the cat lose weight, and he'll need another blood test in about 6 weeks.


Right now, he's got an Upper Respiratory Infection. He's on antibiotics, but he's stopped eating and this has posed another huge risk to his health. The vet will discuss all risks and concerns with potential adopters.

This seems like a lot of trouble, but this cat is the sweetest old boy. When the mattes were shaved, he just sat there and purred. He rolls over, loves to be brushed, and comes when you call him. He's super sweet and he's had such a hard, sad time. When I went in to take his photo, he started purring as soon as he saw me, and didn't stop until I left. We just want this cat to live out the rest of his life well-loved and happy.


The shelter will waive the adoption fee for him, and just sell a $15 licence. The new owners shouldn't feel obligated to put in thousands of dollars to help the cat live longer, just to do their best, keep him comfortable, and give him love. If he needs to be euthanized in the future, he can be brought back to the shelter. It's a lot to ask, but he's a sweetheart and deserves it.

I attached some photos, before and after he was shaved. If you could post him asap, that would be fantastic, because if they can't find an adopter/foster soon, the vet is recommending he be put down instead of kept at the shelter.



The cat has just been named Luscious and his id number is 547168. The update on his status is that he will not be euthanized unless his health deteriorates to the point where a good outcome is unlikely but I'm guessing that spending anymore time in a cage in a shelter won't help with any possible recovery.

For more information on Luscious please contact Toronto Animal Services South at 416 338 6668 and ask to speak to Jen, Natalie or one of the vets.

Update on Luscious here.

8 comments:

Carol said...

OMG. I just fell in love. What a heart wrenching story. And sadly its just one of hundreds. Crossing fingers he finds a home and I'll cross post to others. Thanks for sharing

YesBiscuit! said...

Sounds like he'd be a perfect pet.

Honestly, those mats are the weirdest looking things I've ever seen.

Amy said...

I hope someone steps up and gives this boy a loving home. He looks like such a sweet kitty. What a sad story...

hopy said...

oh no, and he's only around 8? the poor sweet guy. i'll definitely ask around - i hope he finds someone to love him. he's got one of those great big-head heads.

Michele said...

This is sooooo sad. I have passed the word to everybody I know. Who do they contact if I find somebody that is interested in helping this boy? Also, if the vet bills or going to be extreme, is there any place where they can get a reduction in fees? I feel so badly for him, but if he is going to require a lot of medical care, I feel it is important for the person adopting him to know that in advance so they know what they are getting in to. I would hate to see this poor boy passed from home to home after everything he has been through. I would take him myself in a heart beat but I am at my limit.

Fred said...

Hi Michele, the contact info is at the bottom of the post but I believe someone's already stepped forward to adopt him but more on that when it's confirmed.

Fred said...

Luscious is being fostered, not adopted, sorry - my mistake. So if anyone is interested in adopting him, please check back with TAS.

Eileen said...

What a beautiful cat! When I first saw him I thought it was a silly "creative grooming" experiment. I'm so glad he's getting a chance.