Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Pit Bulls at Queen's Park

A lot of the people in the building behind me want me dead


That makes me sad but I'd probably still give them a kiss anyway ...


... because people don't always know what they're doing ...


... and I will always forgive them for their trespasses against me


I took an early lunch and went over to Queen's Park for the demo today only to discover that it had been moved an hour earlier and I'd missed everything. Oh well. Talked to some Pit Bull owners and met their dogs instead.

They told me maybe 50 - 75 people showed up for the morning event and that the speeches by Cheri DiNovo, Clayton Ruby and some other people, whose names I don't recall - sorry - were all well received. Someone videotaped the whole thing so when that comes out, I'll post a link to it.

The bill would've been presented in the legislature in the afternoon for first reading and it's most likely that it would've been passed. That doesn't mean it's law. It just means it's made it past first reading like almost every potential bill does. Sometime later, next fall, I think, it gets voted on for real.

Here's the clip from CTV which is rather uninformative really.

Yeah, nothing new there from McGuinty who kind of reminds me of a plastic shopping bag full of muddy water for some reason (something Freudian there probably but I'm not sure what). Does he even know what a Pit bull is? He acts like he kinda does but he could use the same phrasing to talk about large rocks or discarded banana peels or little children shooting elastic bands.

I would never advocate people not picking up after their dogs but if ever someone deserved to step in a soft pile of dog shit, I'm sure we could find that someone, a whole mess of someones, behind those big wooden doors of the legislature.

Here's a much more informed clip from a radio show on Talk1010 hosted by John Tory with guest Cheri DiNovo and Bill Bruce.

14 comments:

Social Mange said...

A piece in the Toronto Sun...I can't hear it, don't have speakers.

http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2009/11/18/11797561.html

Social Mange said...

Pic on the cover of the National Post Nov 18 online edition...

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2237935

Social Mange said...

The Red Star didn't give any coverage...no surprise there...

Fred said...

Thanks for the great links, Social Mange.

Lynn said...

Poor little guys in their muzzles. I guess it's required by law, right? It just makes them look more intimidating...Hanibal Lechterish, which somehow doesn't help the problem.

Lynda said...

I had planned on being there, but was needed at work instead. I'll keep my fingers crossed for the bill to go through. Next fall? That seems like an eternity away!

Fred said...

That's probably the strategy of the PB haters - hoping that by the time their law finally gets repealed, Pit Bulls will be almost extinct in the province.

Ian said...

How sad.
Is that first pup missing a leg or is it the angle of the picture?
I`ve been trying to count feet.
Poor fella.
Those muzzles certainly don`t help with the public`s perception.
That`s for sure.
I really hope this law is overturned.
How ridiculous it seems when you become informed.

Fred said...

Yes, that first guy is a tripod. He was hit by a car when he was young and had to have his front leg amputated.

susan said...

I was planning to ask about the muzzles too. It is such a shame to reinforce the publics fear by requiring such an accessory for a perfectly safe dog. I've taken my pit bull to the post office w/ me for the last year. Recently, two idiot women made a loud/dramatic stink over our being there. My dog just laid in the floor smiling at them the whole time but now she's not allowed back. It was all I could do to remain calm and pleasant.

Fran said...

The video is at the shop now being put unto a CD for posting. I will make sure "One Bark At A Time" receives a copy when it is edited. Should not be long.

I found out the press release was moved up late the night before and posted it on face book as soon as I could. We are SO sorry we missed you Fred. Lots of people were coming in late. We counted about 75 people at "high time" however.

The pictures and captions under the dogs are simply priceless. I will post the blog on Cheri's support page.

I was told that the first reading always passes as a "courtesy". The 2nd reading in the FALL will have all the Liberal's BIG guns out. We are planning and organizing now.

A quick story. On my way back to the car I saw a woman in her seventies sitting on a cement flower box resting with her walker beside her and holding unto TWO dogs. One a smaller fluffy dog and the other a muzzled, blind (one eye missing) white pit bull type dog. I told her of Cheri's bill and the fact that I just left a rally for it. My heart melted when I saw tears of joy brimming from those wise old eyes.

Made the WHOLE day and all the work put into it SO worthwhile. She was the blessing I received. Sometimes God whispers in our ear, "this is WHY you work SO hard".

Leigh said...

hey ian - yes the first little guy certainly does only have three legs!! that's my tyson. he was a hit and run victim when he was just over a year old and i adopted him from the toronto humane society after they fixed him up!! don't worry though - it doesn't slow him down a bit.. he is a pitbull after all!!

Ready Girl said...

I was there that day, and was featured in an interview on Global with my girl Ready. Here's the link. They did a much better job than CTV.
http://www.globaltoronto.com/video/index.html?releasePID=jpj7S6_0BRjhdALrIO8XpUS_oOLBIlHu

Fred said...

Hi Fran, looking forward to the video.

Leigh, it was pleasure to meet Tyson at Queen's Park. He's a wonderful dog and lucky to have you.

Ready Girl, thanks for the link. Yeah, the Global segment is way better than the CTV one. Global has more Pit Bull supportive voices in theirs although Dalton unfortunately sounds equally ignorant in both.