Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Adoption notice: Gem, Boston Terrier

Every so often I put an adoption notice on the blog even though this isn't the best venue for it because of its here today, gone tomorrow format but here is one submitted by a reader, Penny, about a dog who needs a little extra bit of luvin'.


On August 21st, Loyal Rescue saved two Boston terriers from an Ontario Puppy mill. My latest foster had just been adopted and I wanted to take a short breather to concentrate on training my own dog (a recent rescue), but I agreed to take Gem, one of the Bostons, knowing that they are usually adopted quickly.

Gem turned out to be a very special case. She is approximately 3 - 5 years old and has spent her entire life living in a cage, breeding puppies. She is a very over-weight, untrained dog who snorts when awake and snores when asleep. She is also the most loveable puppy mill dog I've ever come across. She is starved for affection and loves to be petted. She is the most beautiful "ugly" dog I've ever met.

Unfortunately, Gem was also diagnosed as having full-blown diabetes. A condition not revealed by the puppy mill "vet". She requires two insulin injections per day and she is on a special diet.

Gem is going to require a very special person to give her a loving home. I was hoping that you might know of someone. Loyal Rescue employs an intensive screening process for potential adopters and does a wonderful job in finding homes for "special needs" dogs, but any extra help you might be able to provide would be very much appreciated. You can view Gem's bio and adoption info here.

2 comments:

Biscuit said...

She looks like a lovely little dog. I don't know whether canine diabetes is more complicated, but I lived with an insulin-managed diabetic cat for many years and it was a breeze. Not even any special diet, really, and she didn't mind the needles at all. I'd take Gem in a minute if I wasn't already wading through a sea of cats. She sounds awesome.

Bootstrap said...

I also lived with a diabetic dog for a long time - it's a pretty easy condition to manage as long as you keep an eye on it!