Monday, October 12, 2009

Choices

Sometimes when there's room at Toronto Animal Services South, they'll bring in dogs from other jurisdictions to try to get them adopted out in Toronto. Quite often these dogs are from Quebec but sometimes TAS will also select dogs from the U.S., usually from a high kill shelter in Ohio because the contacts, process and transport are established.

So how do you choose the dogs? There's only so much money. There's only so much space. You can't take them all. Do you choose the puppies because they will go quickly or do you leave them behind because you hope they'll stand an okay chance of being adopted even where they are? Do you choose the older dogs because they have no chance where they are or do you leave them behind because, well, they're older dogs and most people don't want them? Do you choose the black dogs because there's some prejudice against black dogs in the States and not so much here? Do you choose the purebreds or the mutts? Do you choose the big or small? Do you choose the shy or the outgoing?

It might seem like a feel good job to be able to do something like that, rescue dogs from elsewhere, but how good would it feel if you knew that in choosing one dog, the ones not chosen would likely die? How do you choose?

(click on images to enlarge)









These are ones that were chosen from the above and with help from Open Arms Rescue, they arrived in Toronto a couple of days ago:

Roman

Rollo

Raisin

Parker

Jayden

Godspeed to these five in finding their new homes and God help those left behind.

For adoption information on these and other dogs (and cats and other animals), please visit Toronto Animal Services.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised they brought Jayden and not Jamie. And I have to say, I was really hoping Pebbles and her adorable puppies would be on the list.

See? That's what makes it so tough and such a complete crap shoot for the animals - every person would choose different dogs. I hate that we live in a world where their lives depend on something so random.

I know that to some extent that is true for everyone and everything (we could get hit by a bus crossing the road any day), but with shelter animals, especially ones in high kill shelters, it remains true in a whole different magnitude of awful.

Anonymous said...

Are all adpotable animals at TAS adopted presently before animals are brought from other areas?

Fred said...

At TAS South, all locally adoptable dogs are put up for adoption and if there are still empty kennel spaces, additional rescue dogs may be brought in.

Unknown said...

These doggies are beautiful.

Such heartbreaking decisions. I can't imagine how much stress and sadness those who must make these choices feel on a daily basis - much strength to you. How I wish we could save them all or better yet live in a world where ferel, rescued or owner surendered animals are a thing of the past.

Fred, your picture of Roman is worthy of a front cover of any Lab magazine or book.

Amy said...

I have always said that the Intake Coordinator for my rescue group has the hardest job in rescue. We receive hundreds of emails from shelters every week begging us to take their dogs. They are all death row dogs whose fate may be determined by the response that we send back. How do you look at one sweet face and say yes, but then say no to the rest? I am a strong person and I have seen a lot in rescue, but I know I couldn't make the intake decisions. It is beyond what I could handle emotionally. God Bless our intake person for the amazing job that she does, though.

House of the Discarded said...

I'm disappointed to see that the pound is charging rescues a $22.00 "pull fee". Did I read that correctly?

-Beth

Fred said...

H of D, maybe I'm wrong, but I think many, if not most, American pounds charge pull fees which are reduced for rescues. It might be the same with pounds here but I'm not sure.

James said...

The pull fees cover the vaccines.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I walked Parker today. He reminded me so much of my own dog. He cuddled right up to me and was so sweet. I didn't get to spend enough time with him, I really would have loved to have spent some time getting to know the others as well. Only one in the room was Barking, I think it was Rollo. So glad TAS came to the rescue, once again. This group seems like a great great bunch. I think they know that the've been given a really big second chance

Susan

Julia said...

I wanted to share my success story about adoption from the TAS. In November 2008, my partner and I decided that after being together for 5.5 years that we were prepared to take the next step...no not a baby but a canine family member. I was adamant about adoption but I felt that it would be better to get a puppy.
We traveled to Vic Park to see two mixed breed pups from the THS. We were greatly disappointed that they did not choose us,(since we live in a apartment etc..)!
I won't lie I shed a few tears and my loving partner told me we can try again.
The following week still determined but slightly bruised from our initial experience, we went to the North TAS. I had viwed some dogs from their Pet Harbour page.
I came to see a stray named Byron and my partner was interestd in Elsa a very SHY JRT x Beagle. He fell in love with her at first sight, I was slightly dubious. But the wonderful worker named Cassandra took the extra time to take us to the play area and showed us that "Elsa", was indeed a loving, good girl that needed a home.
We took the plunge and 1 year later we are delighted to annouce that we are all still together and happy!We have since renamed her Harlem and she is the apple of our eye(s). Oh and I forgot to mention that she was 1.5 years old and came all the way from OHIO!!!
So, many thanks to all the hardworking employees and volunteers at the TAS you have made us very happy!!!

Julia