Sunday, October 4, 2009

Cookie and Coco: 2 Labs forever looking for a home on the internet

I've gotten this about five times in the last two week:

ANY PET LOVERS LOOKING FOR TWO LABS?

Subject: Seeking Home for 2 Family Dogs- Two gorgeous labs trained
If you can't help, please forward & thank you!
Two gorgeous labs - trained - Seeking Home for Family Dogs


Cookie and Coco
Even if you cant take them, please pass this around!
Contact: Katherine xxxxxx@yahoo.com

We are moving overseas in just 2 weeks. Unfortunately, I have still not been able to find a good home for Cookie and Coco. We're not able to take our beloved doggies with us and I've been desperately trying to find a home for both of them together. They were raised together and pine without each other. The Lab rescue have already said that they would probably separate them, so this is my last resort. Recently I tried to take Coco out in my car alone and she TOTALLY refused to even get into the car without Cookie......!!!! She absolutely pulled back on her haunches until Cookie was by her side.

Both doggies are in great health, have been spayed and have ID chips implanted under the skin.

Cookie turned 3 December 10th and Coco turned 3 April 1st. Cookie is my mellow-yellow, and just loves her tummy rubbed. Coco is adorably funny and lives for her "ball." She also loves the water...... Cookie loves lots of attention. Both doggies are loyal and love to walk. They have been raised with my 3 kids running around all over the place, and have survived Sammy's constant hugging and love of 'dress-up', so they are fantastic family dogs. This is by far one of the most difficult decisions I have ever had to make, but under the circumstances I have no choice.

Please, please forward these pics to all your friends. I want to find a great home for these fabulous doggies. They are just adorable and it ' s heartbreaking to let them go. In a perfect world, I hope that we could find someone local so that we can still keep in touch and visit them. I pray that someone, somewhere can help us keep Cookie and Coco together, and love them just as much as we do. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart. xxxxxx@yahoo.com


The first time I got this, I was a little concerned but didn't know how to feel about the "I'm moving so I have to give my dogs away" reasoning. By the fifth time this hit my inbox, I was starting to think something was fishy about the whole thing.

Here's the story behind the story from Paws & Effect: Finding Cookie and Coco a Home.

... pretty soon the tide out there in the blogosphere turned from chirpy do-gooder optimism to irritated skepticism. ("I have e-mailed this person a couple of times & NO response ... so I [am] starting to believe this is a total scam!" — Hackettstown, N.J., Feb. 12.)

Pages upon pages of Google search results yielded more confusion and second-guessing. It started to look like Coco and Cookie don't even exist.

But they do.

Just ask Sas Behzadi of Woodland Hills, Calif.

"It was the day of the inauguration," recalled the 37-year-old, who requested the use of her nickname instead of her real name, due to the backlash she's received from some not-so-pleasant animal activists. "I had been looking for a home for both of my dogs together for over four months. My house was in foreclosure, and I knew it was a bad time."

After a series of personal misfortunes, the mother of three found herself finally able to afford the rent at a local apartment building — but dogs over 25 pounds were prohibited. So, she sent out one last e-mail plea to her friends in hopes of finding a new home for her 3-year-old dogs.


You can read the rest here, but long story short, the dogs were rehomed quite a while ago.

At least that's if you believe the article. Some out there are claiming that this e-mail is a complete hoax which has been circulating for a couple of years now. Me, I'm wondering why there's that line about moving overseas when the owner of the dogs is only moving across town.

Whatever. This e-mail is now officially a waste of time.

6 comments:

House of the Discarded said...

I got that email recently too. I also received that email about 2 years ago :) It's a hoax.

-Beth

Unknown said...

Hey guys! I'm the Washington Post Express reporter who wrote the story you're referring to. It's definitely not a hoax. Sas is a real lady, who I've spoken with repeatedly. Unfortunately the email as it stands now has mutated so much as it has been forwarded along, that what people are getting now is pretty far removed from the truth.

Fred said...

Thanks for the clarification, Kris.

House of the Discarded said...

Funny...because I'm *positive* I've seen this picture of these two labs a few years ago.

borderjack said...

Fred -
Unrelated to this post, but just wanted to let you know...Sad news: Phoenix the Chow has died. I believe he was put down Friday after not eating for two days.

Anonymous said...

stupid spam!! way to tug on my heart strings Geez, like I don't see enough unwanted pets.

Susan

Thanks for the update and looking into this Email Fred..