Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Four in, four out

The adoption gods must've been whispering in people's ears over the course of the strike because on Monday all four dogs who were just listed for adoption on Friday found new homes. I kinda wanted to see that big-headed Chihuahua again but, oh well ... much better that he be permanently at home than temporarily with me.

Smokey is going to be put into rescue, partially because of his infected ear which is going to take some time to figure out what's wrong and partially because he'll do better in rescue. The kennel environment is just too stressful for him.

Bach's saga continues. There weren't enough drugs for his heartworm treatment so more had to be ordered. It's finally come in but now the vet is on vacation until next week so it looks like it's going to be Monday or Tuesday. This treatment protocol sounds like it's going to be quite tough on him. Someone's going to have to watch him immediately after the shot to make sure he doesn't move much at all to lessen the chance of a stroke. I'm glad he doesn't know what's in store.

More Bach here.


Biscuit said...

I wonder if Bach could be kept on something to keep him sleepy/groggy for a few days after he's dosed. I'm so worried about him.

Such good news about the other four. I loved that Chihuahua, too! What a noggin on him.

Fred said...

I think they were talking about tranquilizing or sedating Bach but decided not to or maybe they're still discussing it.

I know what you mean about being worried. I'm trying to decide whether or not to go in next Monday or just stick my head in the sand.

Miz Minka said...

About 15 or so years ago I adopted a Greyhound who turned out to have heartworm. He was given an intravenous treatment --I believe it was a type of Ivermectin-- at the vet's and kept overnight. I took him home the next day and had to give him sedatives for at least the first week, maybe two (I don't remember), just to make sure that he did not exert himself. He was a pretty mellow dog anyway, a power couch potato really, but because I had other dogs that would bark at a fly farting outside (especially my overprotective Chow mix), the vet decided it would be best to prescribe the sedatives. The treatment was successful, so I hope in Bach's case they'll decide to go with the sedatives too. My greyhound was rather large for the breed (100 lbs), and Bach looks large too. Hopefully he can tough it out!

Miz Minka said...

Any news on Bach and the heartworm treatment?

Fred said...

Miz Minka, I haven't seen Bach in a couple of weeks because of the CNE closing access to TAS but I think he's doing okay - at least I haven't heard anything bad so that's good.